Russian Church St. Michael the Archangel
For years, the only Russian church on the Cote d'Azur was the church of St Nicolas and St Alexandra in Nice.
By 1886, Alexandra Feodorovna Skrypitzine, wife of the consul of France in Russia - Eugene TRIPET, installed at his villa "Alexandra" a place of worship where members of the clergy of Nice organized masses.
In 1889, in Cannes with the arrival of the Grand Duchess Anastasia Mikhailovna, worship in this church became more regular and the church will soon be not large enough to accommodate all the parishioners because of the rapid growth of the community Russian.
In 1893, the chaplain of the Grand Duchess Anastasia Mikhailovna, the Archpriest Ostroumov Gregory asked the Grand Duke Mikhail Mikhailovich assistance for the construction of the Russian church.
Initiated and chaired by the Grand Duke Mikhail Mikhailovich, the Building Committee, cwas composed of princes and notables. Committee members have donated large sums to build the church and also pledged to pay for the upkeep of the temple 250 francs each year for 10 years.
For the construction of the church Alexandra Feodorovna Skrypitzine, has donated a plot of 1750 square meters in one of the best parts of the city.
The Russian community in Cannes helped with a lot of donations and two months later, the Committee had collected the sum of 60,000 francs; In April 23, 1894 plans for the future church were established.
With the start of the construction, many donators helped equipping and decorating the church, icons, incense, banners and various ornaments.
Thus, the day of consecration, the temple had absolutely everything for the cult. It was built under the constant supervision of the father of Gregory Ostroumov.
On April 23, 1894 the new church capable of accommodating 400 people, was blessed by Archpriest Gregory Ostroumov.
The municipal officials attended the ceremony and made the 22 November 1894 a decree on changing the name of the boulevard to the name of the Russian emperor Alexander III (Alexander III Boulevard).
In 1921 was celebrated in the church, the marriage of Grand Duke Andrei Vladimirovich and the ballerina Mathilde Kshesinskaia.
Today, the Russian Church of St. Michael the Archangel is one of the architectural treasures of Cannes and is at the heart of the spiritual life of the Orthodox community.
Under the church is located a large crypt, where are buried many famous people: Archpriest Gregory Ostroumov who worked on the construction of the Temple, Prince Peter Alexandrovich of Oldenburg, the Grand Duke Nicolas Romanov and his wife Anastasia, the Grand Duke Peter Nikolayevich Romanov and his wife Milica Nikolaevna, daughter of King Nicolas 1 of Montenegro.